Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2018 00:19:01 +0800
From:      thor <thor@irk.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to disable GELI selectively?

Hello!

Here I have a computer with 2 HDDs partitioned identically with GELI
encrypted root as in
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/howto-full-disk-encryption-fast-way.19082/

When I boot the computer it properly asks the passphrase for /dev/ada0p3
and mounts /dev/ada0p3.eli as a root.

Then, it asks "Enter passphrase for gptid...." which I don't want since
the second HDD should be attached manually when needed ONLY and all
other time it should be unmounted. I am to press enter enough times to
make me mad.

I have found
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-July/068704.html
but it resolves the problem how to mount /dev/ada1p3.eli on boot but not
how not to mount it.

kern.geom.eli.tries=0 makes geli not to ask for every passphrase
including /dev/ada0p3 and the boot correspondingly totally fails.

What should I do?

Thor