Date:      Mon, 13 May 2019 05:57:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        B J <va6bmj@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xfce Crashed, Can't Get Toolbars Back

On Sun, 12 May 2019 20:46:43 -0700, B J wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 11.2 with Xfce on a laptop.  For some reason, the
> desktop crashed and I can't get the toolbars back.

Is this "something new" or does it happen right after
installation? If "new", what did you do before the
problem appeared?

> I booted the machine, logged in under my account, and I got messages
> concerning the following:
>
> serverauth.812 does not exist

Strange. The file(s) in question are named .serverauth.<n>,
with a dot (".") at the beginning...

> .Xauthority not writable
>
> I haven't the foggiest what that means and I'm wondering just how I'm going
> to get Xfce working again without having to do a clean re-installation.

This looks like a secondary problem. But what does

	% ls -la ~/.Xauthority

report? It should belong to your user and have rw/-/- mode.

> Any ideas or suggestions?  Thank you.

I assume you're starting X with "startx", so it uses a .xinitrc,
right? In this case, replace the call to Xfce (the last "exec"
line) with

	exec xterm

Now your X session will start with nothing but an X terminal.
In this terminal, manually enter the command which you use
to start Xfce (check .xinitrc when in doubt).

In case you're using a display manager, apply .xsession instead
of .xinitrc in the steps mentioned above.

Is there anything "non-standard" about your X setup?

Anything in .xsession-errors?

In worst case, just remove and re-install the Xfce-related
ports.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany