Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:19:23 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Crypto policy [was: Can we just come to a decision on IPv6 and IPSec?]

Hi,

[redirected to -chat, bcc'd to -hackers]

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 01:32:47PM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Allen Smith wrote:
> >
> > I believe IPsec just ran into a larger problem... parts excerpted for
> > fair use. The Wassenaar countries include the home countries of all
> > the IPsec participants, so far as I know.
> If this would ever be an issue then I would be able to give bandwidth
> and rack space for a FreeBSD cryto repository box (like internat.
> freebsd.org today).

I doubt there will be problems with internat.  South Africa is not part of
this, and is not likely to be, considering our good diplomatic relations
with China, Libya, Cuba and sometimes even Iraq.

To the South African's on the list:  Anyone have any ideas on the best way
to get encryption enshrined as a constitutional right?  Better to be
proactive than reactive.  I'm sure some argument about the need for
individuals to protect themselves, to prevent an recurrence of the horrors of
the past, would go some way.

Also might be a good idea to begin fighting for making key escrow by foreign
countries illegal.  I don't want Verisign, or whoever, to ever be able to
give my secret keys to the US government.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
  |   "Come home my prodigal son, come home and lets be one,
--+--  don't want to see you cry, don't make me tell you why,