Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2018 09:39:37 -0500
From:      Joshua Lokken <jrrlokken@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xorg.conf corruption?

Hello,

FreeBSD 11.2-stable on virtualbox

Booted the vm this morning, logged in as normal user, and issued
'startx'.  I am presented with this error:

Using config file: "/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Parse error on line 1 of section (null) in file
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
"" is not a valid keyword in this section.

xorg.conf.d is an empty directory.

Not sure what would have gone wrong, X has been configured and
working properly on this VM for several weeks.  If I :

rm /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf

then reconfigure Xorg and run (as root): Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new,
I get the black screen on pty9 and no errors.  Copy the new config to
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf, get the same error as before -- parse error
on /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/...

What may be going on?  Thanks in advance.

Joshua Lokken