Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        searle@longacre.demon.co.uk (Michael Searle)
Cc:        hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Drive recommendation

> > Steve> Do they really mean this?
>
> > They really do.  We got one of those a few months ago (it was $299 then)
> > at it works just fine.  It's a bit loud, but tolerable.  It doesn't even
> > run that hot, but I do have an extra cooling fan on it just in case.
>
> > Supposedly, the trouble with the DFRS drive is every 72 hours it shuts
> > down for a few seconds and then restarts.  Now, I've never witnessed
> > this while FreeBSD was running, but it does happen when I boot into DOS
> > ever so often.
>
> > Anyway, I'm happy with it, and even happier with the price.
>
> I'm interested in this drive as well (It's half the price of other drives
> the same size, and faster than any other drive I've seen at 7.5ms average.)
> But ISN have stopped supplying it, and anyway they don't ship out of the
> USA.

Buying ``basement bargins'' in the US and having them exported is not
a great idea, shipping this 4 or 5 lbs to the UK would be about $75.00
in shipping fees, then you get to add your VAT and other taxes, your
quickly looking at $500.00, which you could have spent at a local
shop for a nice new drive...

The counter part to AAC in the UK is:
http://www.gnd.com

You might give them a looking over...