Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:51:41 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 94334 for review

On Thursday 30 March 2006 06:48 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=3D94334
>
> Change 94334 by marcel@marcel_nfs on 2006/03/30 23:47:36
>
> 	Strip-down puc(4):
> 	o  Remove PUC_PORT_TYPE_UART: we always use uart(4) now, so we
> 	   can use PUC_PORT_TYPE_COM for that.
> 	o  Remove PUC_PORT_UART_*: we don't support UART sub-types. All
> 	   UARTs are standard ns8250 again.
> 	o  Remove PUC_FLAGS_MEMORY and PUC_FLAGS_ALTRES: we try I/O ports
> 	   first and if that fails, we try memory.
> 	o  Remove PUC_FASTINTR: we try setting up a fast handler first,
> 	   and if that fails we try a MPSAFE one.

Unfortunately that algorithm doesn't work in the case of a shared interrupt
if puc is the first device to attach.  The other devices then just "lose".
This is mostly irrelevant on 6.1 and later for all but ppc since they allow
INTR_FAST to be shared with non-INTR_FAST.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org