Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:36:17 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

--------------070405020906020403010607

Barney Cordoba wrote:
> S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
>> This server has been running -current all the time
>> with about biweekly=20
>> updates, so it has made the transition all the way
>> from about 6.1 to=20
>> todays current without problems.
>>    =20
>>> Something happened between 6.2 and 7.0, as we were
>>> able to run 6.2 on these systems.
>>>
>>>  =20
>>>      =20
>> Looks like a pattern, something outside of ATA also
>> caused HW issues on=20
>> some Promise controllers to appear in this period.
>> Just checked and nothing in ATA changed in regards
>> to either the HT1000=20
>> or the Promise HW, its the same support code thats
>> been there all the time.
>> It could be a sideeffect of now having more fine
>> grained locking etc,=20
>> that makes these problems show up, your guess is as
>> good as mine.
>>
>> Again, the sticky point is that if I cant reproduce
>> a problem here its=20
>> very hard to work on it, if not just plain
>> impossible...
>>    =20
>
> A sticky point on this end is that it will cost more
> to ship you a system than the cost of the product; you
> being in Europe and the US dollar sucking in general.
> I'm also not going to be able to get authorization to
> ship overseas.=20
>
>  =20
Maybe I can get the HW over here, paypal can be used to transfer the=20
funds in that case...
> Could you send me the config file you're using on your
> 7.0 system with the H8SSL MB so I can give it a try
> and see if its a config issue, or some device
> conflict? You have the MB we're having trouble with,
> so maybe we can learn enough to give you some ideas.I
> have a system with an H8SSL-i that just plain doesn't
> work with either SATA or IDE.
>  =20
Sure find my config attached currently used with plain releng_7.
It might be worth while to compare HW revisions etc as well as there=20
might be differences.
One thing you could try would be to install a 6.2 system and if that=20
still works just grap ATA from releng_6 as that is now the same as in=20
-current and should fit almost cleanly into 6.2 as is, then give that a=20
run. Depending on the outcome we'll know more about where to look for=20
the problem.

For references sake could we please get a list of the actual HW that=20
people have problems with listed here, as detailed as possible please.

-S=F8ren

--------------070405020906020403010607

machine		i386
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		DEEPCORE

makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		# Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
makeoptions	MODULES_OVERRIDE=""

options 	SCHED_4BSD		# 4BSD scheduler
options 	PREEMPTION		# Enable kernel thread preemption
options 	INET			# InterNETworking
options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	SOFTUPDATES		# Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	UFS_ACL			# Support for access control lists
options 	UFS_DIRHASH		# Improve performance on big directories
options 	NFSCLIENT		# Network Filesystem Client
options 	NFSSERVER		# Network Filesystem Server
options 	MSDOSFS			# MSDOS Filesystem
options 	CD9660			# ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			# Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options 	PSEUDOFS		# Pseudo-filesystem framework
options 	COMPAT_43		# Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD4		# Compatible with FreeBSD4
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD5		# Compatible with FreeBSD5
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD6		# Compatible with FreeBSD6
options 	KTRACE			# ktrace(1) support
options 	SYSVSHM			# SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			# SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			# SYSV-style semaphores
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B realtime extensions
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev
options 	ADAPTIVE_GIANT		# Giant mutex is adaptive.

# Firewall stuff.
options		IPFIREWALL
options		IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options		IPDIVERT
options		DUMMYNET

# Basic HW infrastructure support.
device		apic			# I/O APIC
device		acpi			# ACPI support

# Bus support.
device		pci

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device		ata
device		atadisk		# ATA disk drives
device		ataraid		# ATA RAID drives
device		atapicd		# ATAPI CDROM drives
device		atapifd		# ATAPI floppy drives
device		atapist		# ATAPI tape drives
device		atausb		# USB device support
#options 	ATA_STATIC_ID	# Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device		atkbdc		# AT keyboard controller
device		atkbd		# AT keyboard
device		psm		# PS/2 mouse
device		kbdmux		# keyboard multiplexer

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc
device		splash		# Splash screen and screen saver support
device		vga		# VGA video card driver
device		agp		# support several AGP chipsets

# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device		pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio		# 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device		miibus		# MII bus support
device		bge		# Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
device		de		# DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')

# Pseudo devices.
device		loop		# Network loopback
device		random		# Entropy device
device		ether		# Ethernet support
device		tun		# Packet tunnel.
device		pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device		gif		# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device		bpf		# Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ehci		# EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
#device		udbp		# USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device		ugen		# Generic
device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
device		ukbd		# Keyboard
device		ulpt		# Printer
device		ums		# Mouse

--------------070405020906020403010607--