Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 17:05:50 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   bktr / fxtv problem revisited...

Hi folks,

I already posted a message this morning, dealing with a problem I have with
a bktr based card. I don't want to repeat my problem describtion, in fact,
you can look at http://www.tisys.org/misc/fxtv_small.png and
http://www.tisys.org/misc/fxtv_big.png to see for yourself. This message is
supposed to tell you some things I have found out in the meantime. Probably
someone can explain what they mean, for I don't think they are entirely
normal:

1) I have now found out that when I start my X server with 16bpp instead
of 24bpp, I can switch fxtv to full screen more or less successful. The
only problem that sometimes remains is that the picture may look
"interlaced", that is, only every even scan line seems to be drawn, while
every odd scan line remains black. In other words: There are many small
black horizontal lines in the full screen picture. This is not always the
case, but evey now and then (seems that I can fix it by moving or
minimizing and maximizing the fxtv window). Now, is fxtv / bktr actually
limited to 16bpp, or is this just something I am seeing?

2) When I select the PAL/BDGHI mode, the picture seems a little "jerky",
meaning that it hangs and then moves again. If I select PAL/N instead, the
picture moves smoothly. I wonder what the TV norm actually has to do with
this behavior, however. Since I live in Germany, I know that I will have to
use some kind of PAL, but I'm unsure about the differences of PAL/BDGHI and
PAL/N.

Any comments and hints are, as always, welcome ;-)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany