Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 20:05:07 +1100
From:      "Geoff C. Marshall" <count@ozemail.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X, MAKEDEV

I have recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 and then cvs'ed it
to 2.2-STABLE.  I am quite impressed in a number of ways,
but of course, I have a few problems.  If someone can help
I would appreciate it.

1.  How do I force xdm to start in greater than 8-bit
    colour ?  Presumably I can edit out lower modes
    in XF86Config, but that seems a little crude.

2.  I have been trying to configure a sound device,
    and I seem to have it right, but there is no
    /dev/snd0 and "MAKEDEV snd0" produces nothing
    but a small pause.  What am I missing ?
    What information can I supply ?

3.  I like to use Netscape for mail and newsgroups,
    but the version that comes with FreeBSD (the
    latest according to Netscape) works only while
    "online".  I need to pick a utility to get my
    newsgroups from an AT&T newserver.  "slurp"
    doesn't seem to work (for me), any particular
    recommendatons ?

4.  Never having uses Unix for WYSIWIG word
    processing before, what is the best approach ?

Sorry about all this, really, but the wealth
provided with FreeBSD is a bit overwhelming.

Geoff....