Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:07:03 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup users: please upgrade to version 15.2

CVSup users, please make sure you are using version 15.2 or later of
CVSup.  Version 15.2 is the current released version.  It was released
around the end of September, 1997.  The wheels are being set in motion
to convert the $Id$ strings in our repository files to $FreeBSD$.  If
you have an old version of CVSup, you are going to experience problems
when this change occurs.  The most likely symptom will be a whole slew
of checksum mismatches on your updated files.

To determine the version of CVSup that you are running, type "cvsup -v".
The output should look like this:

    CVSup client
    Software version: REL_15_2
    Protocol version: 15.4

If the software version doesn't say "REL_15_2" then you need to
upgrade as soon as possible.  You can do so with either the "cvsup"
port/package or the "cvsup-bin" port/package, both of which are in the
"net" category.

Also, please check to make sure you don't have an old version of
cvsup lying around in "/usr/local/sbin".  The program belongs in
"/usr/local/bin", but the earliest versions of it were installed in
"/usr/local/sbin" due to a bad decision on my part.  This has bitten a
few people who thought they were up to date, but whose cron jobs were
actually running the obsolete version.

John