Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:19:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: propagate_priority panic

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Anish Mistry wrote:

> 	Not sure if anyone else is seeing this, but I'm pretty sure the following
> commit broke my system.  When mysql tries to shutdown I get a panic in
> propagate_priority. As well as X freezing when I go to start it.  Actually
> one of the applictions or the WM causes it to freeze, but same problem I
> think but I can't see the console.  Before this everything worked fine.  I
> can post the hand transcribed panic backtrace message tomorrow if anyone
> is interested since I don't have a serial port on the machine.
> I'm using the 4BSD scheduler with the latest -CURRENT.

We really do need:
. the panic message
. backtrace
. cvsup time
. scheduler (ULE or BSD)
. if PREEMPTION is enabled in the kernel config
. mysql version
. thread package mysql was compiled with

propagate_priority() is a canary for other problems so the backtrace is
especially important.

> jhb         2004-12-30 20:52:44 UTC
>
>   FreeBSD src repository
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/kern             sched_4bsd.c sched_ule.c subr_turnstile.c
>     sys/sys              proc.h sched.h turnstile.h
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.71      +102 -14   src/sys/kern/sched_4bsd.c
>   1.144     +77 -20    src/sys/kern/sched_ule.c
>   1.151     +120 -71   src/sys/kern/subr_turnstile.c
>   1.415     +1 -0      src/sys/sys/proc.h
>   1.23      +2 -0      src/sys/sys/sched.h
>   1.6       +1 -0      src/sys/sys/turnstile.h

How did you determine it was this commit that is causing your problem?

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org