Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:28:38 +1100
From:      "Alexandr V. Shutko" <AVShutko@mail.khstu.ru>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ar0 device & dump....

Hello all,
Yesterday my server died silently (kernel panic)....
uname: 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #4: Sat Apr 13 20:09:44 VLAST 2002

But it doesn't save kernel coredump. I tried to find out why kernel
dump was skipped and found that system stating an error: "device doesn't
support a dump routine" when trying to save dump... System is running Intel sr1200 server
with ATA RAID spanned disks... so it have single big disk ar0 and swap
partition resides on ar0s2b....

I looked into code and found this in ata-raid.c :

static struct cdevsw ar_cdevsw = {
        /* open */      aropen,
        /* close */     nullclose,
        /* read */      physread,
        /* write */     physwrite,
        /* ioctl */     noioctl,
        /* poll */      nopoll,
        /* mmap */      nommap,
        /* strategy */  arstrategy,
        /* name */      "ar",
        /* maj */       157,
        /* dump */      nodump,       --> !!!
        /* psize */     nopsize,
        /* flags */     D_DISK,
        /* bmaj */      -1
};

I just want to known if it is impossible to do this routine or
developers just forgot to implement this ?

--
With respect,
Alexandr V. Shutko                           mailto:AVShutko@mail.khstu.ru