Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 19:47:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Slice errors

I have a -current system with 3 Conner CP30200 SCSI drives.  I have
been using a C/H/S geometry of XXX/8/256 since Rodney mentioned
this as the optimum geometry for SCSI disks and ufs.  Prior to that
I used XXX/64/32 as reported by the Adaptec controller.

With the new slice scheme I get this error for all drives:

    sd0: raw partition size != slice size
    sd0: start 0, end 416107, size 416108
    sd0c: start 0, end 413695, size 413696

The capacity reported for these drives is 416108 blocks. It appears
to be complaining that the slice is 416108 blocks but partition c
is only 413696 blocks.  Ok, I'll make the c partition == 416108,
who cares.  Disklabel says, partition c extends past end of unit
and does not write the label.  There are no DOS partitions on these
Conner drives, 100% FreeBSD.

All of my partitions end on cylinder boundaries due to bad experiences
in the past.  Do I have to use the bogus geometry reorted by the
drive and rework all of my labels for this message to go away?

I have another system with a 1Gig SCSI disk that has a DOS partiton
and a FreeBSD partition.  The physical disk is larger than my c
partition but I do not get any error messages.  The capacity of this
disk is 2031705 blocks.

    sd0s1: start 32, end = 409599, size 409568: OK
    sd0s2: start 409600, end = 2031615, size 1622016: OK

FreeBSD fdisk continues to report bogus partitions.  I had to
partition the disk several times with pfdisk.exe before I could
get the new slice stuff to work properly.  I know that this is not
what is on the disk.

The data for partition 0 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 1 is: