Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:52:55 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbus question

> I have to add specific initialisation to the ISA emulation of
> a graphic PCI card.
>
> It principle, this should be triggered by the PCI detection of the card,
> but I can't access the VGA address range before the vga isa driver
> is initialised.
>
> How could this be done? With newbus?

I think so.  I may not be understanding you correctly here though.

> If the vga driver was newbusified, should I attach my graphic card specific
> driver to both the pci bus and the vga generic driver and let it
> be initialised twice with two initialisation functions and only one
> softc structure?

No, I don't think so.  If I understand what you're talking about, you
want to add some extra initialisation for a specific but otherwise
standard PCI VGA card, and you want to do this with a device driver which
"owns" the card.

The best way I can think of doing this is as follows:

 - Your driver should determine whether the VGA adapter is the "primary"
   adapter.  Working this out may be a little tricky.

 - In your attach routine (not in the probe routine, since you may not
   actually win the probe bidding), add extra resources to the device_t
   which match the "legacy" VGA resources, so that you claim exclusive
   ownership of these resources.  You can do this with bus_set_resource.

I hope this helps.
Mike