Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:39:55 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, bapt@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newer FreeBSD version for package breaks binary updates

> On 15. Jan 2018, at 16:16, Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
>> Le 15/01/2018 =C3=A0 15:55, Michael Gmelin a =C3=A9crit :
>> Hi Bapt,
>>=20
>> I can't get binary updates anymore, because:
>>=20
>> pkg: Newer FreeBSD version for package ....:
>> - package: 1200055
>> - running kernel: 1200054
>> pkg: repository FreeBSD contains packages for wrong OS version:
>> FreeBSD:12:amd64
>>=20
>>=20
>> Am I misunderstanding this, or does this mean that pkg forces me to
>> update my system before I can install any package updates (even super
>> small ones). This seems like a bad idea that potentially will break many
>> deployments/workflows.
>=20
>=20
> pkg is telling you "this package was built with 1200055, you are runing
> 1200054, it will probably break" and refuses to install the package.
>=20
> If you want to force it, overwrite OSVERSION to 1200055, something like
> `pkg -o OSVERSION=3D1200055 upgrade`.  But this will probably break the
> packages you install at one point.
>=20

I understand that message, but besides that this was hardly a problem in the=
 past (especially for minor version differences), it also forces people to u=
pdate at the same time as FreeBSD package builders, which has consequences. I=
s adding this dependency really what we want, will package builder updates s=
cheduled in a predictable way, so system update cycles of users can be align=
ed, etc.?  Otherwise this just adds another way to cut users from updating p=
ackages/forces them back to building packages themselves.

Yours,
Michael