Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:34:58 -0500
From:      Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off topic: smtp HELO question

> So if your NAT transforms internal addresses to W.X.Y.Z and a reverse
> lookup 'host W.X.Y.Z' returns 'foo.example.com' then you should
> configure your mail client to EHLO as 'foo.example.com'

OK thanks, that's kinda what I was expecting. Unfortunately for me, my
external address floats around depending on what my ISP gives me, so I
can't configure a static name in my client to match that. For now I'm
trying to see what happens if I set it to the name of my domain I own,
but the servers that host that aren't the ones I send mail through.

>For mail submission you generally
> identify yourself by logging into the server after switching your
> connection to TLS,

I do use TLS, but what I'm trying to debug is not so much that the email
service *I* use checks, but that the final receiving server scans
through the headers and flags anything with a NAT address. I'm having
intermittent problems with some of my mail being flagged as spam when I
mail anyone at a local university and I'm not sure what's going on yet.