Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:08:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Leif Neland <root@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind8: notify-also

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Leif Neland wrote:
> I want to run a "private" copy of bind8 on our mailserver; have read
> somewhere this should be a good thing (tm).

I'm assuming you mean private in the sense that it isn't listed
in the roots or zone files of the domains.

> But how do I synchronize this with the master dns? I could add a
> notify-also for every domain (a couple of hundreds), but can't I add a
> global modify-also instead?

Set it up as a secondary.  You need entries for every domain
you'll secondary in named.conf.  Grab a copy from an existing
secondary.

> Also a global "allow-transfer"?

Add this machine to the allow-transfer {} in the options {} section
on your primary.  If you have the allow-transfer set by zone, you'll
need to add it there too as the more specific option wins.

And to keep others from using this machine as a name server setup
an acl

acl just-me {
	localhost;	// picks up all local interfaces
};

options {
	allow-query {
		just-me;
	};
};

You don't need to make any changes to the zone files as long as they
don't have their own allow-query's.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com