Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:32:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <garyr@zeus.wcs.uq.edu.au>
To:        Chynnee <chynnee@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountd, ntfsd, portmap (and friends)

Chynnee writes:-

> > On 18 Dec 2001, Chynnee wrote:
> >
> > > problem:
> > > i was trying to get NFS working.
> > > and nfsd starts w/o issue, but mountd gives:
> > > "Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out"
> > > after a few min of trying.
> >
> > You are using rc.conf to enable these, correct? Is 'localhost' defined in
> > /etc/hosts?
> yes and yes.
>
> > And you're _sure_ ipfw isn't enabled on the problem box?
> and yes.
>
> if you would like any more info, let me know and i will be more
> than happy to provide.

In your hosts.allow file do you have a portmap entry like:-

portmap : <IP of NFS server> : allow

I seem to remember a very similar "Cannot register" message when I forgot
to include the above type of line when editing /etc/hosts.allow, although
maybe my memory is faulty :-).

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts       (garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au)