Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:25:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@castor.GEL.USherb.CA>
To:        Jesse D Troy <jtroy@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About Java.

> 	Did you have to do anyhing special (other than set up Linux emulation)
> to get jdk1.1.1 to work?  I have Linux emulation working (it works with
> other software such as Adobe Acrobat Reader) and I got the Linux version
> of JDK 1.1.1.  After untarring the jdk,I try to run any of the
> executables (javac, java, etc.) and I have these problems:
>
> 	1) I have to type ./ before the executable name (even though
> 	   the current directory is in my path and I can run any other
> 	   binary that is in the current directory)
> 	2) I get the following message when I run javac:
> 		type: not found
> 		[: syntax error
> 		usage: dirname path
> 		arch: not found
> 		javac was not found in /../bin//green_threads/javac

When you execute "java" or "javac", these file are actually symbolic
links to a file called ".java-wrapper".   This is a shell script that
configures the environment, among other things.

The problem is that this shell script invokes a few system-related
binaries like "uname" which have different parameters on FreeBSD than on
Linux.

You can just arrange the shell script to use the proper parameters and
you won't get these anoying messages.

Regards,
Alex.

PS: The Linux JDK 1.1.1 (v3) still has some problems running on FreeBSD.
    Sometimes, where resizing a window, the Java VM hangs.  I'm looking into
    this right now.