Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:46:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        pkorsten@xs4all.nl, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom CE3B-100BTX PCMCIA Ethernet Card

> > I have a laptop with a Xircom CE3B-100BTX PCMCIA Ethernet Card. Does anybody
> > know whether there are (attempts to) drivers for either FreeBSD, other BSD's
> > or perhaps Linux? And perhaps some leads to port such a driver?
>
> AFAIK Xircom is just as bad as Diamond used to be: they won't give you
> programming info for their products, or maybe only under NDA.

However, looking at the  PAO drivers put out by the FreeBSD Nomads
for PCMCIA cards, it's pretty apparent that they are starting to use
more standard chipsets (some of the PCMCIA Xircom adapters work
with PAO, though they are officially frowned upon for their policy).

The best answer for a PCI device is to identify the chipset, identify
an existing driver for PCI cards with the chipset (if they didn't
use a standard one, you may be in trouble), plug it in, get the PCI
ID with "no driver assigned", and enter it into the vendor/ID table
for the PCI device.

If they didn't use a standard chipset, all is not lost: get another
card with the Windows/Novell drivers, and send the card and driver
disk to a German or other EU member with a copy of "Sourcer" from
V Communications, Inc., and have them reverse engineer the interface
for you (which they can do legally).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---