Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Meister <todd@lmi.net>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <cdf.lists@fxp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, tomb <tomb@cgf.net>
Subject:   Re: Suspect port...

On 18-Oct-99 Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, tomb wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I just ran nmap on myself to see what was open and this appeared.
>>
>> 1446    open        tcp        ora-lm
>>
>> I killed Netscape and it disappeared.  Has anyone any idea what this is?

I've noticed this kind of thing, myself.  Usually, no ports but the expected
are open on my box, but sometimes, ports associated with random services I
know I'm not running will be open.  I've come to the conclusion that the
connections are either http or domain connections, though I could definitely be
wrong.  Does a netstat -f inet show anything?

-Todd