Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:55:53 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optimus VGA support in new release 9.1

--------------enig2DB70253F3D68ADE10286591

On 31/12/2012 10:15, Ashkan Rahmani wrote:
> I really want to migrate to FreeBSD for daily usages, Bu my main issue =
is
> my
> vga card on my notebook, this is optimus.
>=20
> any body knows is it supported in this new release?

That's an nVidia card.  The FreeBSD version is pretty much irrelevant
here.  What you need to ask "is my nVidia card supported by the
x11/nvidia-driver port, or failing that the built-in Xorg nv driver?"

If you want 3-D acceleration and all that stuff, then you'll need the
x11/nvidia-driver.

Check the "supported products" tab on this page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd-x86-310.19-driver.html

If your video card isn't there, or you can't recognise it from the part
number, then I'm afraid you're out of luck[*].  Your best resource there
is to ask on one of the nVidia forums.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] There are other drivers available for various legacy cards: finding
information about these is left as an exercise for the student.

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.