Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:54:51 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        all@biosys.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

> >Please don't try to claim that this doesn't happen. It does - even with
> >new equipment from well known manufacturers.
>
> I'll claim I've never seen it so long as I was using auto-negotiating
> devices.. nics from linksys, 3com, intel and others.. switches and hubs
> from the same three.

Good for you. I (and my co-workers) haven't been nearly as lucky.

> You (and Tom) have still both failed to address the question posed : What
> about "dumb" devices such as unmanaged switches.  My 16port
> auto-negotiating 10/100 switch has no way *at all* of setting the duplex
> *or* speed of the ports.. are you stating that such devices (and there are
> tons of them) won't work if you force the NIC to a certain speed/duplex
> setting?

The speed is not a problem. The duplex configuration is.

What I (and I believe Tom) is saying is that if you have such a device,
and you force the NIC connected to it to a certain duplex setting, it may
work (both ends get the same duplex setting), or it may not. When it does
*not* work, you have a duplex mismatch - which means that many packets
will get through, but you'll have a significantly higher rate of errors
than normal, in the form of late collisions etc.