Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2010 18:45:36 +0200
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Subject:   booting off GPT partitions

Hey

I was under the impression that everyone and their dog is using GPT
partitioning in FreeBSD these days, including for boot drives and that
I was just being unlucky with my current NAS motherboard (Intel
D945GCLF2) having supposedly shaky support for GPT boot. But right now
I am having an email exchange with Supermicro support (whom I
contacted since I am pondering their X7SPA-H board for a new system),
who are telling me that booting off GPT requires UEFI BIOS, which is
supposedly a very new thing and that for example NONE of their current
motherboards have support for this.

Am I misunderstanding something or is the Supermicro support tech misguided?

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov