Date:      Thu, 27 May 2010 22:49:12 +0200
From:      "Peter Cornelius" <pcc@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        kevin.wilcox@gmail.com
Subject:   'Serious' crypto? (was: FreeBSD router - large scale)

Hi,

> NAT.  Doing serious crypto slows things up somewhat.

I've been pondering this since a while but thought that crypto engines on modern hardware would make 'extra' hardware accelerators obsolete?

Or is it still worthwhile to consider hardware accelerators such as the ones guys like soekris [1] and others offer? Does anyone have an idea "how much" such an accelerator may help on older vs. on newer hardware?

Would multiple engines work (and help) at all? From crypto(4), I would not guess so. One consequence would be that there may be certain limitations in using a separate accelerator once the platform comes with its own accelerator device?

Thanks,

Peter.

---

[1]  http://www.soekris.com/vpn1401.htm