Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:25:55 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /dev/ada and /dev/ad (Was: Re: Free disks enumeration needed)

On 20/11/2014 03:20, Polytropon wrote:
[snip]
> The usage does not depend on what kind of disk it is.
> Actually, both disk types can be used for ZFS and UFS.
> SATA disk show up as /dev/ad* or /dev/ada* (preferred),
> while SCSI disks will be /dev/da*, the generic naming
> for direct access disks and media.

Slightly off topic, but possibly useful to a wider audience. If you're
fully converted to using /dev/ada* rather than /dev/ad*, you can make
the /dev/ad* names go away by adding

kern.cam.ada.legacy_aliases=0

to /boot/loader.conf. This tidies up /dev a little and loses the "Used
to be adN" messages during boot.

This option was added at 9.0, when ada(4) was introduced but if, like
me, you took a while to convert disk naming you may have forgotten that
you could get rid of the old names.