Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:27:05 -0500
From:      Schiz0 <schiz0phrenic21@gmail.com>
To:        "Maxim Khitrov" <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Blocking undesirable domains using BIND

On Dec 27, 2007 3:46 PM, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently setting up a new firewall for my home network using
> FreeBSD 7. The firewall will also act as our local name server
> (authoritative for the local domain, and caching for everything else).
> One of the things I'd like to do with it is use BIND to block various
> undesirable domains (ad servers, malicious sites, etc.). The plan is
> to have a separate BIND config file which is included in the main one.
> In that file I map all the blocked domains to either the empty zone or
> perhaps my local web server that's just serving a blank page for any
> request. Haven't decided which way is better yet. This file is updated
> periodically (once a week maybe) and BIND is then told to reload the
> config. That's the plan as it stands now, eventually I hope to add a
> web interface to the system for adding and removing blocked domains.
>
> My question for you guys is if know any _reliable_ sources for getting
> that list of domains in the first place? I currently use the hosts
> file on all my machines, which is about 2MB in size and hasn't been
> updated in several years. I'll definitely import all of those entries
> myself, but it would be good if I could periodically pull an updated
> list from somewhere else. The following site has a pretty decent
> collection of ad servers, though it's a bit short compared to what I
> already have: http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/. It even provides the
> list in a BIND format, meaning that I don't need to do any additional
> processing with it. Just fetch the page and reload BIND. This,
> however, is not one of my requirements. I'm perfectly happy getting
> just a list of the domains (in any format), and then processing them
> into a BIND config file myself. Just need good sources. What are your
> recommendations?
>
> - Max

You could always try one of those ad-blocking databases for firefox.
The Ad-Block Plus plugin, I was thinking of specifically.

http://easylist.adblockplus.org

You could grab that file, then parse it and grab the domains out of it to block.

I know this isn't what you want, but it may come in useful anyway:
http://www.okean.com/asianspamblocks.html