Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 13:33:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   .forward/procmail help

I have a situation I can't figure out... whenever the number of processes
on my machine reaches around 80, sendmail can't deliver mail to my account
("unknown mailer error 2") when I have .forward set to pipe mail into a
process. Sometimes the bounce will contain a "Cannot fork" error.
It's as if some mysterious number of processes limit is being hit.

However:

  kern.maxproc: 980
  kern.maxfilesperproc: 1960
  kern.maxprocperuid: 979

Here's my .forward:

  "|IFS=' ' && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Yf- || exit 75 #archie"

Any ideas?

Is there an equivalent of csh's "limit" command in sh that I need to use?

Thanks,
-Archie