Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 17:03:06 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup 15.0

> i upgraded my cvsup today to the latest.
>
> lately i remember the lister/proto_out value to have been around 720,
> plus minus few.
>
> now the latest cvsup announces it to be 874, and i cant recall seeing
> much of a new files being added to the tree... defenitely not that many.
>
> so, while this matter remains rather irrelevant, did something change in
> the cvsup itself?

You are very observant. :-)

Yes, it did change.  In previous versions, the lister sent only
the modtime of each file.  Now it sends the file size as well.
This adds a small degree of safety, and it doesn't seem to slow
down most update runs.  Also, the modtime+size are now encoded into
a more general set of "file attributes".  (If "preserve" is enabled,
the file attributes include other things such as owner, group,
mode, etc.)  The more general representation adds an overhead of
a few bytes per file, before compression.

John