Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:04:05 +0100
From:      Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject:   Re: usb2: no sound with M-Audio Transit

On Friday 14 November 2008 18:11:23 Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> > http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0125637/fbsd/transit_config.dump
>
> Maybe there is something wrong with the 16-bit to 24-bit data conversion ?

One more thing:

I'm using dfu-util for the firmware download. See
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/dfu-util/

The second  usb_claim_interface() call  fails. But that doesn't seem to be
fatal. If I comment out the exit() the download succeeds.

Here's the output:
dfu-util - (C) 2007-2008 by OpenMoko Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000...
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
WARNING: Runtime device already in DFU state ?!?
Found Runtime: [0x0763:0x2806] devnum=0, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=0, name="RAM"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Cannot claim interface: Unknown error
Setting Alternate Setting ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x0040
bytes_per_hash=112
Starting download: [##################################################]
finished!
state(7) = dfuMANIFEST, status(0) = No error condition is present
state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
Done!
can't detach: Unknown error
Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode
error resetting after download: Unknown error

The problem is that after the download the  device needs to be reset so it
gets recognized as uaudio device. This was not implemented in the libusb from
sourceforge for BSD.

As a workaround you can slightly unplug the cable (I think I read this on some
netbsd list) which works but is not very convenient.

The reset in dfu-util fails, possibly due to preceding errors.

I also tried it with usbconfig:
# usbconfig -u 0 -a 2 reset
usbconfig: could not reset device: Device not configured

And this error in dmesg
usb2_req_re_enumerate:1362: addr=2, getting device descriptor failed!

This is not critical but it would be nice to get rid of this ugly workaround.

--
Stefan