Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:05:15 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        sasha@earthling.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Splash crash

>> Um, yes, there is another possibility of error.  If the video driver
>> finds it unable to switch video modes on your video card,
>> splash_bmp.ko will fail too.  Run the `dmesg' command and see if it
>> shows something like "...video mode switching is only partially
>> supported..." among boot messages.  There is no fix for this at the
>> moment. Sorry.
>
>Is this the same reason why rain_saver.ko and warp_saver.ko return error
>19 when I try to load them?  I get the "video mode switching is only
>partially supported..." message on bootup, and can't get splash_bmp to
>work (same problem).  logo_saver seems to work, 'though.

Yes. I am afraid that is exactly the cause of the problem.  syscons
and the new vga driver have had this problem for some time now.  They
don't understand the format of the BIOS video parameter table on some
video cards.  This is a compatibility problem.

I have been thinking of fixing this by using BIOS call via VM86
lately...

Kazu