Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 07:24:29 -0500
From:      David Powers <dnpowers@swbell.net>
Subject:   RE: Strange Networking Problem

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of default013 -
subscriptions
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2001 10:40 PM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Strange Networking Problem

Hello,

I am on an AT&T cable line at the moment and I have a few computers on the
network all connected through a hub. My FreeBSD machine has 2 of the I.P.s
on it... The problem is that frequently I get 50% packet loss (according to
ping) between my FreeBSD server and my Windows workstation. I verify the
situation by an extremely slow connection using any protocol... I believe it
is because both machines are going through different gateways.

My future fix to this problem is upgrading my ISP and getting a service that
will put all of my machines on the same gateway, and eventually setting up
some sort of router or NAT system to route packets... but currently, I'm
stuck in this bad situation... I am sure that it has to do with the gateway
because if I telnet to another off-network system, I can get back to the
server just fine.

I am wondering, if anyone understands how this problem works, and if so, are
there any FreeBSD networking tricks that I can use to minimize or eliminate
it?

P.S.
I am confused as to why one can't bind a 192.168 addy to the regular nic and
access it that way... I tried it and was
only able to access it from the server itself... I have been told that if I
had two NICs and setup NAT to filter between the WAN and the LAN, I could do
it... but why can't one just setup a 192.168 on the regular NIC?

Thanks,

Jordan