Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:24:55 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netbooks & BSD

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 02:26:36PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:15:46 -0700
> > From: Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org

> > > I think they all pretty much follow the same standard. I've even had
> > > success using an IDE CD-ROM drive plugged into a USB-to-IDE adapter
> > > cable, before.
> >

> > 	That kinda makes me laugh, because isn't the idea of USB to
> > 	have *one* standard plug that fits into one jack?  --Seriously,
> > 	my favorite "clicky" keyboard is a PS/2 and I have a USB adaptor
> > 	that saved me.
> >
> > 	The thing about the memsticks is that on my tower cases, you
> > 	have to get down and crawl around and find the jack...  Is there
> > 	such a thing as a USB "extender" cable, say, a meter or two long?
>
> Sure. My SmartCard token is plugged into one on my desk. Not knowing
> where you are I an only suggest Radio Shack or, if there is one near you,
> Frys. You can easily order one on-line for a LARGE number of
> vendors. Just remember that the maximum length of 5 meters.
>
> I see prices for brand-name cables at about $8.

	Oustanding; thanks for the datapoint.  There is a Frys a few
	miles from me, but I usually buy online.  Five meters ... hm,
	that would almost reach to the kitchen table:-)

	My wife and daughter bought some of the memsticks last spring
	to bup a DOS/Win and for daughter's MacBook: xfer files to and
	from school.  Since it's a lot cheaper than buying an optical
	drive, the flash memory is the way to go.

	gary

	PS: Seattle.

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix