Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 12:07:05 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device driver help

I just browsed through the handbook, and couldn't find information about
setting up a new device driver to be compiled and installed.

I've been working with a device driver book written by George Pajari
that is slanted towards (I belive) SCO for "installing the device
driver". Based on what I see on my FreeBSD system, and what the book has,
they're radically different.

My goal will be eventually to write a "real" character or terminal device
driver, building on this bogus one, to create a character device driver that
will handle our (soon to be released) hex modem modules (6 modems on a SIMM on
an ISA bus card).

Anyhow, I've created a device-driver .c file in
/usr/src/sys/addons/bogus called bogus.c. (its just a dummy device driver
that returns a string, similar to /dev/zero). I also have a .h file
with the function headers for boginit, and bogread. boginit
is void boginit(void). bogread is void chr1read(dev_t dev).

I've also created a device in /dev called bog0, using a major number of
20, and a minor of 0 (20 appeared in majors.i386 as "reserved for
local use", so I thought this was good).

What I need is a quick tutorial on what files I need to change (and how
preferably), as well as how to add it to the kernel config file (I currently
tried it with "device bog0").

Any help, as always, is appreciated.
	-Brian