Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 19:32:28 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        flame@access.kuwait.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help - ppp0 missing

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Flame wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed FBSD2-2-1 and having problem configuring ppp. I
> followed the steps mentioned in the handbook.
> On boot i get the following messages:
> lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
> Ifconfig: Interface ppp0 does not exist
>
> so i added ifconfig line for lp0 but that didn't seem to help.

lp0 has nothing to do with ppp0.

> i always get login fails when i try to ppp to my ISP but i am able
> to connect when using term and typing username and password manualy,
> but then other net progs like lynx and ftp won't connect.
>
> 1- how can i create ppp0 interface.

Uncomment the relevant line in your kernel config file, as I've already
told you on my previous private mail. If you don't know how to do that,
read the section in the handbook on rebuilding the kernel. *It will not
work until you do that*!

BTW, why do you use kernel-mode ftp? User-mode ppp is configured into the
kernel by default, so if you don't want to rebuild it, you can still use
it. Again, look at the handbook and tutorials for details.

Bottom line: RTFM

> 2- how to configure ppp.conf or ppp.dial to send my username and
> password
>
> 3- do i need to use tip? i have configured tip but when i try to use
> it it says unrecognized host!

You probably have /etc/remote or some other tip file set up incorrectly.
If all goes well you don't have to use tip, but it might be useful for
debugging.