Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 15:52:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@cup.hp.com
Subject:   Re: Modifying FILE to add lock

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The #1 biggest hassle with the Modula-3 stuff is that it has
> > Modula-3 versions of all of the system structures, and they have to
> > match exactly for things to work.  Some day I swear I'm going to
> > work out a way to generate the M3 versions automatically from the
> > header files in /usr/include ...
>
> It's reasonable to think about a description language from
> which C/C++, Modula, Ada, Perl, and other header file types
> could be post-processed from.
>
> Perl already has a kludge for generating Perl constructs from
> C/C++ constructs, so if you wanted to kludge it instead, that
> would be a reasonable starting point...

Having done the Ada port, I can say that the only system structures
that cause problems are those that can't be/aren't created by
system calls/library routines.  Those are the _only_ things that
_should_ cause problems; if there are others, then the implementation
(of the affected language/application) is flawed.

The signal set changes caused a big impact because they (signal sets)
aren't created by library routines, and they are parameters in some
very common routines/syscalls as well as being part of struct sigaction,
jmp_buf, and ucontext_t (which are also interfaced to by multi-threaded
languages).  I'd also imagine that struct timezone or timeval changes
to have similar impact.

But back to FILE and DIR changes, I seriously doubt that any of our
language ports would be affected by these being changed.

--
Dan Eischen