Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:45:32 -0500
From:      Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
To:        Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: deleting directories with ??? in name]

I managed to delete the files by recreating the directory.

Not to seem ungrateful, but isn't it a Bad Thing that it
is not straightforeward to delete any file on the system
(as root, and thwarted merely because of the characters in
the name of the file/directory)?  I'm not in a position to
mangle lynx, but oughtn't it to be able to zap ANY file
regardless of its name? (emacs is obtuse to me.) Is this
worthy of a PR?  Or are there other ways to kill a
malconforming file?  Why should an annonomous FTP user
be able to create a directory tree that the root account
of the machine can't traverse and delete normally? (Sigh.)