Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:55:46 +0100
From:      phk@freebsd.org
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New kernel allocation API

In message <xzpznpbq8qe.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
>David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>> BTW, it looks like the KASSERT in kalloc() eliminates the need for
>> the one in malloc().  Furthermore, there's another KASSERT in
>> malloc() that could be moved to kalloc().
>
>I know.  AT this stage, all the patch does is define the new API and
>implement it in terms of the old one.  I duplicated the KASSERT so I
>could tailor the panic string to the new API.

If we are going to implement a new kernel allocator API, there are
a host of issues we should consider, Jeff already mentioned one of
them, passing size to ::free, and we must also design the API so that
we can implement debugging and correctness checks in an efficient
and usable manner.

Considering the problems our kernel suffers from at the moment,
inventing a new memory allocation API is not even on the top 50
list of things we need to do.

So can we just shelve this proposal until we have time and need for
it and until we know (even) more about the needs of our SMPng kernel ?

Thanks in advance.