Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Norman Nie <norman@nttmcl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw + bridging: fwd rule enacted but no effect

Hello,

I'm having problems with ipfw fwd + bridging.  Please help!

My setup is:

[A]-----[fxp0:D:fxp1]-----[C]
             fxp2
             ----

             [B]

D is the box that runs ipfw + bridging.

My rule is very simple:

100 fwd B log all from A to C
last rule allow from any to any

Ideally , it should redirect any packets from A to C and emit them
out on interface fxp2 (linked to B).  And those packets are to be dropped
dead on B.

What happened is that logging messages indicate that rule 100 were envoked
but with no effect.  One can still ping from A to C.

IPFW with no bridging (ie. machine B acting as a router) works fine.

Bridging alone works fine.

But when combining ipfw + bridging, the fwd command doesn't work.

Any one has the same problem before?

Also, I assume when doing bridging, I don't need to config the routing
table in machine B.  Is this correct?

Any commets highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Norman Nie