Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:42:26 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Oswaldo Z??iga <colmito_ec@yahoo.es>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello from Ecuador

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 06:14:09PM +0100, Oswaldo Z??iga wrote:

> Hi, my name is Oswaldo, i'm 21 years old, and i'm studing systems
> enginering at the Polytecnic Army University in quito Ecuador, and i'd
> like to be part of your group.

There are many ways of being a "part" of the group.  The best way, in my
opinion, and probably most respected by the rest of the lot, is to
actually contribute something to what the group does ;)

You can start by installing FreeBSD, and getting the feel and hang of
it for a while -- if you haven't done that already.  For more
information on installation matters and a lot of other FreeBSD-specific
things, please have a look at the Handbook at the home page of the
project <http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/index.html>.

Then, there are too many places where any help you can provide would be
greatly appreciated.  Some of them, are listed below:

 . You can test and provide information on how new versions of the
   programs work, something close to the notion of what the commercial
   world likes to call "beta testing".

 . You can read the documentation, and see if there are places where you
   don't seem to understand something; then you can tell someone what
   seemed like hard to understand from a newbie's point of view, and we
   will do our best to:

   a) help you go on with whatever you were doing
   b) rewrite parts of the documentation to clarify what you, and quite
      probably others too, found confusing

When you start feeling comfortable with the system sources, you can even
provide your own proposed changes, using send-pr(1).  If they seem like
worthwile additions to the system sources, then someone with permission
to commit changes to the system sources will take over and do it :)

You can find more information on how you can contribute to FreeBSD, at
a handbook chapter <http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/contrib.html>.

Just in case you decide that it's worth it to join...

  Welcome aboard,

- Giorgos Keramidas