Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 1995 22:54:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: "Text file busy" with program not running anymore?

As David Greenman wrote:

> ... I can
> see no valid justification for preventing writes to executing files. If you
> really don't want your executing process(es) to die, then unlinking the file
> first is this the thing to do.

OOOOOH NOOOOO!

Please, don't do that!

I've personally experienced this ``feature'' on two systems (DG/UX and
IRIX), all i can say: IT IS BUGGING PEOPLE.  If you do get the "text
file busy", okay, you know what's happening.  Show me that sysadmin
who is really aware of each single binary running (out of > 100 procs)
and who knows that none of the files he's just going to upgrade is
still active.

Btw., i think install(1)'s feature to unlink the file first relies
on seeing the ETXTBSY.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/