Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:36:13 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another 4.1-S panic (full report)

Quoting BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>:

> On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> > This looks very similar to some crashing I had months back.  An older
> drive
> > didn't seem to like it at all and stopped using it for that drive.
> Panics
> > continued and removing the drive physically didn't help.  Turning off
> > softupdates for all drives did eliminate the panic and later commits
> at
> > some point fixed the problem and it could be turned back on, even on
> the
> > drive it didn't like.  No need to recompile, just 'tunefs -n disable'
> worked.
>
> 	So...given these later commits, I should be fine with softupdates
> now, no?
>
> > >cpu             I686_CPU                # aka Pentium Pro(tm)
> > >options         NO_F00F_HACK
> >
> > The F00F problem is only with Pentiums.
>
> 	Exactly why I disable the work-around code with NO_F00F_HACK
> option :)
I686_CPU implies NO_F00F_HACK.
In the code F00F_HACK is enabled only if I586_CPU is enabled.
Thus, this option is usefull on AMD and alike processors which are "586" class.
I wonder if your crashes has something to do with recently MFCed uipc_socket
stuff.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]