Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:51:39 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michiel Boland <boland@carmel.diva.nl>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_4 merges

--==_Exmh_978702601P

If memory serves me right, Michiel Boland wrote:

> Can someone explain the sudden rush of fixes into the RELENG_4_4 branch?
> For instance, just exactly what good does the BIND 8.3.3 merge do?
> Surely people who want to run BIND 8.3.3 on RELENG_4_4 can use the port.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 'remote buffer overrun'
> bug in earlier BIND versions was in libbind.a, which isn't even installed
> on a stock FreeBSD system, as far as I can see.

RELENG_4_4 is getting some security fixes.  I don't see why you're
calling this a "sudden rush"...I'm seeing about four different bugfixes
going in (three of them are the result of security advisories).  Note
that all of these bugs surfaced around the same time.

Technically, this branch isn't even officially supported by the security
team, but it is getting some very conservative updates due to the
interest of one of the committers who has the time and resources to help
the security team keep it updated.

> Just exactly what's next? Are we going to see merges of things like
> sendmail 8.12.3 into RELENG_4_4!?!?

New functionality is not the point of a security-fix branch.  It's
extremely unlikely that sendmail-8.12.X would be imported to RELENG_4_4.

> I'm just trying to get things clear here. Perhaps I'm missing the point
> completely (as usual). But I would think that this continuous merging of
> stuff into RELENG_4_4 creates a maintenance nightmare for everyone who
> runs off this branch.

It's not like somebody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to
update your RELENG_4_4 machines.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_978702601P

--==_Exmh_978702601P--