Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:54:05 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Stephen Clark <sclark46@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: safe mode

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:17:50AM -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
> I am having a problem getting 6.3 to boot on an intel atom mb. When
> it gets to where it should identify the drive it hangs.

Can you try 8.1-RELEASE or an 8.1-STABLE snapshot instead?  I mean, you
*are* using an Intel Atom system, which contains significantly more
advanced hardware than was available during the RELENG_6 days.

Oh, I think you answer this further down...

> If I boot with no acpi it does the same thing.
>
> If I boot with safe mode it comes up and identifies the drive but then
> starts spewing the following errors:
> ipfw2 initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding disabled,
> default to ad
> interrupt storm detected on "irq15:"; throttling interrupt source
> ad4: 152627MB <WDC WD1600BEKT-00A25T0 01.01A01> at ata2-master PIO4
> interrupt storm detected on "irq15:"; throttling interrupt source
> interrupt storm detected on "irq15:"; throttling interrupt source
> interrupt storm detected on "irq15:"; throttling interrupt source
>
> FreeBSD runs but I continue to get these errors:
>
> What exactly does safe mode do - I am afraid my forth skills are not
> what they should be.

"Safe mode" does the following before doing "boot":

set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
set hw.ata.wc=0
set hw.eisa_slots=0
set hint.kbdmux.0.disabled=1

It also does the following if you're booting/running i386:

unset acpi_load
set hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
set loader.acpi_disabled_by_user=1
set hint.apic.0.disabled=1

The code is in /boot/beastie.4th.

IMHO, you shouldn't be disabling ACPI, or using "safe mode" to try and
get your system working.  Can you please boot Verbose mode instead and
provide all of the output somewhere?  You'll probably need serial
console for this, since the system hangs.

> atapci0@pci0:0:31:1:    class=0x01018a card=0x28508086
> chip=0x28508086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '82801H (ICH8 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers'
>     class      = mass storage
>     subclass   = ATA
> atapci1@pci0:0:31:2:    class=0x01018f card=0x28288086
> chip=0x28288086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = 'ICH8M (ICH8 Family) 3 port SATA Controller'
>     class      = mass storage
>     subclass   = ATA

Your storage controller is an Intel ICH8, which is supported by FreeBSD,
but the ATA layer differs greatly between 6.x and 8.x (read: better on
8.x).  AHCI is also well-supported on 8.x if your system/BIOS supports
it.

> I am stuck for now on 6.3 so moving to a later release 7+ is not feasible.

Can you explain why?  (If I don't ask it, someone else will.)  This will
almost certainly be the key to this discussion, especially since you
say:

> Additional info:
> 6.4 exhibits the same behavior. 7.2 boots okay in normal mode.

You should probably read this, specifically the fact that the RELENG_6
branch is being EOL'd in about 30 days.

http://www.freebsd.org/security/

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |