Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:28:04 -0500
From:      "Matt Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Tobias Roth" <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with fxp0 and wi0 devices

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:06:51PM -0500, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> > I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE on a ThinkPad T23 and I can't use
either
> > of the built-in fxp0 or wi0 network adapters.
> >
> > Whenever I try and configure them with dhclient, dhclient just hangs.
> > Whenever I try and configure them manually (static IP and route),
packets
> > never go anywhere.
> > Whenever I access fxp0, I get "fxp0: device timeout" messages on my
screen.

> <snip>
>
> looks like the irq problems i and a few other people experienced on their
> T30s. the problem popped up some time between 5.0 and 5.1 and nobody ever
> really fixed it, as it was machine specific (machine, not model or
brand!),
> and not really reproductable. but the workaround was to change irq mapping
> in bios around a bit (from all automatically to some random combination of
> settings). the values that worked for one person didn't for the next.

I wonder if different BIOS revisions change the situation.  That sounds like
the only logical explanation.
I checked and I'm at the latest BIOS, so no easy fix there :(

> a few weeks after i upgraded to 5.2.1 i noticed by coincidence that the
> problem disappeared again for me.

I upgraded last night from 5.1 to 5.2.1 and the problems persisted.  I will
poke around.

Thanks for the information.

--
Matt Emmerton