Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 22:19:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cons25 && (midc, /stand/sysinstall, etc)

Duke Normandin wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > TERM=cons25
 > vidcontrol -b lightblue -c destructive -m on 80x25 white blue
 >
 > 2 problems:
 > a. midc & /stand/sysinstall come up in color, except the borders around
 > every "window" are only "chars", i.e. "garbage"

What font are you using?  If it's a Latin1 font (ISO 8859-1),
then you should use TERM=cons25l1, not cons25.  The easiest
way to accomplish this is to replace "cons25" by "cons25l1" in
your /etc/ttys file (type "kill -HUP 1" to let the change take
effect without having to reboot).  The log out and log in, and
your TERM should be set correctly.

 > b. when I exit midc & /stand/sysinstall my screen is back to the default
 > white on black.

Sorry, can't help you about this one.  I'm not using colors at
all.  In my opinion, a real UNIX console is not supposed to
have colors.  :-)

 > Mail archives indicated that these (and others, I suppose) apps. reset
 > the console but did not offer much of a solution. Would a simple shell
 > script that ran midc (for example) and did the vidcontrol thing as above
 > work?

Probably.

#!/bin/sh -
midc "$@"
vidcontrol ... [whatever]

Save the above as /usr/local/bin/mc, chmod 755 it, and you
should be done.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)