Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2013 17:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Ronald F.Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        rfg@tristatelogic.com
Subject:   docs/177457: diskinfo -v shows inacurate drive size

>Number:         177457
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       diskinfo -v shows inacurate drive size
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE amd64

Apparently, under various conditions, diskinfo -v will show a size for
the specified drive which is smaller than the actual physical drive size,
as indicated by S.M.A.R.T. information (which can be queried using smartctl,
part of the smartmontools port).

This behavior on the part of diskinfo may perhaps be attributable to the
presence of either a Host Protected Area (HPA) and/or a Device Configuration
Overlay (DCO), or perhaps even by the interposition, between the physical
drive and the host, of certain brands and models of STAT/USB protocol
adapters/converters.

Although I personally am not sure of the specific conditions that may
give rise to these anomolies in the drive size, as reported by diskinfo,
I _am_ completely sure that the man page for diskinfo really should
include detailed information on the actual source of the drive size
information that it displays.  Unfortunately, at present it does not,
leaving the subject entirely open to speculation.

This should be corrected.  The diskinfo man page should be enhanced to
include information about the source of the drive size information and
the various factors that might possibly cause the drive size, as reported
by diskinfo, to differ from that reported by smartctl.

>How-To-Repeat:

man 8 diskinfo

>Fix:

I really don't know what the proper fix is.  Either the author or the
source code of diskinfo should be consulted to try to find out the source
of the drive size information that diskinfo reports.