Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:29:12 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        franki@mentat.oko.com.pl
Subject:   Re: rsh problem

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

* Marek Florianczyk <franki@mentat.oko.com.pl> [20010924 11:34]: writing on=
 the subject 'rsh problem'
| Hi
|=20
| Let's say I'm logged on to server1 as root. I want to log using rsh to se=
rver2,
| so: rsh -l some_user server2
| Everything is fine and I get rlogin and password authentification
| but there is problem when I try to send command with rsh, and not to log =
in
| to server2:
| rsh -l some_user server2 cat /etc/passwd
| I got reply: Login incorrect
| Why login is incorrect when I send command and is fine when I try to log =
in?
| This is important for me, because I want to make rdump to remote machine
| and rdump uses rsh, and I got errors.
| In /etc/pam.conf there is nothing about rshd
| I configured /etc/hosts.equive and .rhosts for some_user on server2 like =
this:
| server1		some_user
|=20
| server1 is linux redhat 7
| server2 is FreeBSD 4.4RC5 OpenSSH 2.3.0 that I compiled from sources.
|=20
| Please help
| Marek

I am doing that kinda stuff with pure SSH. You should consider using ssh an=
d _not_
rsh because the former is more secure.

man sshd

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

One of the many lessons that one learns in prison is, that things are what=
=20
they are and will be what they will be.=20
-Oscar Wilde, "De Profundis"=20

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD--