Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:39:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding sysctl, part II

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> On Sep 09, 1998 at 02:54:22PM +0200, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> >
> > It's still unclear to me, however, what should I do to retrieve not only
> > the struct msgbuf (which the msgbufp points to), but the buffer itself as
> > well. If I understand this correctly, once I retrieved the struct msgbuf
> > contents, the msgbufp->msg_ptr is useless because it points to the data in
> > kernel space, so I need to make another call to retrieve the buffer
> > contents, right? The code in subr_prf.c can do this because it works in
> > kernel space all the time, but I can't...
>
> Well, if you get the address of the message buffer through msgbufp,
> you can then just open /dev/kmem and read the the buffer from that
> address.  msgbufp points to an area of the allocated size, and the
> struct msgbuf is just the first thing in this area.
>
> This isn't exactly robust to changes, but will do what you want.

Ugh.. No. I mean, this will work indeed, thanks for the hint. But: I'll
need sgid kmem, and I don't consider it a decent behaviour to peek into
kernel brains. Obtaining this via sysctl is much cleaner IMHO.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/