Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2016 16:54:58 -0800
From:      Harsha Navada <navada@usc.edu>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Requesting help in Netmap build on Linux Ubuntu-12.04

Hello ,

I=E2=80=99m new to netmap where I=E2=80=99m trying to insert netmap.ko =
module after compiling my kernel and I=E2=80=99m shown with the =
following error:

netmap: Unknown symbol split_page (err 0)

Here are the steps and different methods I followed:=20

I. Compile Kernel 3.2.0

1. My Ubuntu 12.04 machine has a kernel version 3.2.0-90-generic, so i =
got the linux source by:
	sudo apt-get source linux-source-3.2.0
2. Then i work on trying to compile the kernel
	a. sudo make menuconfig =E2=80=94 Keep default config
	b. sudo sed -i s/CONFIG_RTS5139=3Dm/CONFIG_RTS5139=3Dn/ .config  =
- to avoid compilation errors
	c. sudo make clean
	d. sudo make -j10
	e. sudo make bzImage
	f. sudo make modules
	g.sudo make modules_install
	h. sudo make install
	i. sudo update-grub2
	j. sudo reboot.=20
2 b. On checking kernel version using name -r , this is the kernel =
version - 3.2.79

3. Then i download the netmap-master branch from git and upload it to my =
machine , cannot use git clone as it doesn=E2=80=99t support external =
connections.
4.Unzipping the bundle and switch to LINUX folder to run ./configure
5. Here i received errors where netmap-master/LINUX/drivers/ext-patch =
couldn=E2=80=99t be downloaded due to failure to connect.
6. I downloaded these drivers and placed them in that path.
7. I received a warning telling cannot find complete kernel sources, =
which i referenced later as=20
	./configure =E2=80=94kernel-sources =3D =
/lib/modules/linux-source-(uname -r)/build
8. Then after clearing all warning and errors, the generated netmap.ko =
file I try to insert , which gives me the error
 netmap: Unknown symbol split_page (err 0)

II. Avoid kernel compliation
1. Then i download the netmap-master branch from git and upload it to my =
machine , cannot use git clone as it doesn=E2=80=99t support external =
connections.
2.Unzipping the bundle and switch to LINUX folder to run ./configure
3. Here i received errors where netmap-master/LINUX/drivers/ext-patch =
couldn=E2=80=99t be downloaded due to failure to connect.
4. I downloaded these drivers and placed them in that path.
5. I received a warning telling cannot find complete kernel sources, =
which i referenced later as=20
	./configure =E2=80=94kernel-sources =3D =
/lib/modules/linux-source-(uname -r)/build
6. Then after clearing all warning and errors, the generated netmap.ko =
file I try to insert , which gives me the error
 netmap: Unknown symbol split_page (err 0)

III. Tried switching to FreeBSD
	Cannot download the FreeBSD 10.2 image due to security reasons =
mentioned in git / wget.=20

I=E2=80=99m totally stuck for the past 2 weeks and would appreciate help =
on this.=20

Thanks=20